On January 24, 2020, the The Center for the Ecology of Infectious Diseases at the University of Georgia formed the Coronavirus Working Group, a group of about 20 scientists with data science expertise in data manipulation and interpretation, visualization, GIS, machine learning, computational statistics, and dynamical modeling.
The Working Group’s 2019 Coronavirus Tracker provides data-driven, information rich situation awareness about the rapidly changing conditions of the current outbreak of 2019-nCov. Activities include:
- Mapping the spatial spread of 2019-nCov within China and abroad
- Developing models for understanding the early stages of transmission and extrapolation to future events
- Estimating key parameters related to transmission
- Compiling clinical and epidemiological information to aid in the development and interpretation of model outputs as well as understanding of events as they are observed
- Assessing the effectiveness of public health interventions on containment